Acne can be incredibly difficult and frustrating. At Swann Dermatology, acne is a problem our providers know very well and can provide the most innovative treatments when standard remedies aren't doing the trick.
Clearer skin with proven therapies.
When you have acne, we first need to understand the type of acne blemish you have. People often have more than one type, but common types include microcomedonal, inflammatory, comedonal, rosacea, irritant, nodular, cystic, medication-induced and hormonal. We often see patients who have tried many over the counter and even prescription therapies without helping and often even making their acne worse.
Skin Typing Done Right
We have two priorities when helping someone with their acne. Offering good advice with acne-friendly skin care is important and additionally treating the types of acne blemishes you have properly. The Swann Dermatology Beauty Bar is our walk-up retail counter where we offer prescription and over-the-counter skin care specific to your skin type. Don't know your skin type? That's crucial and we find most people are using decent products that can actually make acne flare for their specific skin type.
Getting really clear skin takes time. Acne often flares in response to stress, exposures and hormonal fluctuations. There is not guarantee of perfectly clear skin, but when using a proven regimen for a few months, you should begin to notice those flares are less severe and less often. We may need to alter your regimen a few months into treatment as we clear one type of acne and can begin to focus on another. Here are a few options that may be discussed with you by Autumn, Patsy, Leann or Nathan at your upcoming visit:
- Prescription Skin Care - Our providers may offer a number of medications including prescriptions such as retinoic acids, topical and oral anti-inflammatories, skin-typed cleansers, exfoliators and moisturizers and even sunscreen to help acne.
- Facial with extractions - Our team of estheticians are trained medically to deal with acne, freeing clogged pores without causing more inflammation and gently exfoliating those tight pores.
- Photodynamic Therapy - Our providers may offer a series of in-office treatments to minimize the bacteria propiobacterium acnes and associated inflammation. Also known as PDT, photodynamic therapy utilizes a light-sensitive medicine to get to the heart of the issue in acne, the pilosebaceous unit.
- Hydrafacial - Detoxify, hydrate and protect the skin using our brilliant clear formula with bacteriocidal acids that are gentle for inflamed skin.
- Anti-inflammatory injections - Our providers may offer direct injection of thicker nodules with as a part of your treatment plan.
- Microdermabrasion - Our estheticians can exfoliate the stratum corneum surrounding clogged pores to let your skin breathe freely again.
- Glycolic Acid Peel - Our estheticians may offer glycolic or jessner's peels or other peeling formulas that we find speficially helpful for your skin type.
- Intense Pulsed Light - Our laser technicians can reduce redness and bacterial overgrowth in pores which leads to acne flares with specifically designed anti-acne settings. These are generally done in series and can offer excellent cosmetic results.
- KTP Laser - Our laser technicians can reduce most redness associated with acne by minimizing obvious vascular proliferations around inflamed pimples. The KTP laser has also been shown to prevent acne flares when used in series.
There are many treatment options for acne, which is what can make it overwhelming at first. Rest assured, we will take a systematic approach to your skin and listen to your concerns before offering treatments. For more information or to schedule an appointment, call us at 417-888-0858.